1.- Plaza 25 de Mayo. Av.
Maipú y 25 de Mayo.
At the center of the square you can see the sculpture
"Ona al acecho" or (Stalking Ona). Close to it you will
see the Philco´s "time capsule", a steel container
with six video lasers with a copy of a TV program televised in 1992
with messages of hundreds of Argentineans. An inscription suggests
"do not open until October 12, 2492".
Finally, on one end of the square you can see the busts of Augusto
Lasserre, Commander of the expeditionary division to the South Atlantic,
José de San Martín, General and Argentine patriot,
America´s Liberator and Almirante Guillermo Brown, founder of the Argentinian navy.
2.- Obelisk. (Historical Site). Plaza 12
de Octubre. Av. Maipú y
It evokes the first time
the Argentine flag was raised in Tierra del Fuego, during
the expedition under the command of Commodore Augusto Lasserre,
in which the Naval Sub-Prefecture was created on October 12,
1884. From that moment on, Ushuaia celebrates a new anniversary
on that date.
3.- Provincial Legislature.
(National Historic Monument). Av. Maipú
It was in 1894, the official residence of the Governor Pedro Godoy
(1894), third governor of Tierra del Fuego. It was remodeled to
house government offices, after a fire destroyed the first Government
House on June 30, 1920. In 1976 it moved to the current building,
while the Police Headquarters occupied the house until 1983, when
the Provincial Legislature moved to its new quarters. It is now
open to visitors as a historic site, where the Governors and the
Legislature halls will revive the political history of Tierra del
Fuego. Painting and photographic exhibitions also take place here.
4.- Gamela policial. Av.
This house was built around 1910, and it was the residence of the
Ramos family and later a general store. In 1937, the house was bought
by the Mata family and years later became government property. It
is a two-story building with a wide front facing the bay, flanked
by two towers. The three access doors present curious carvings that
it is believed to have been done by the prisoners.
5.- Pena family's old residence.
Av. Maipú 263.
Built in 1928 by Lisandro García. This building housed a
Justice of the peace and Customs. Finally, in 1955 it became a family
house. Compact layout and attractive roof, with a body that protrudes
from the front and used as an access hall.
6.- Scale Model Museum.
You can appreciate here reproductions in a scale 1:15 of true sites
where the Yámana lived and carried out their activities.
One of the halls shows a map representing one of the most accepted
theories on how these lands were populated. Additionally, information
on the first inhabitants of Tierra del Fuego is available.
7.- End of the World Museum.
Av. Maipú y Rivadavia.
This building shows certain features of Norman architecture.
The front of the building boasts a transition hall represented by
a glass porch with double stairs. It was built in 1903 for the later
Governor Don Manuel Fernández Valdés. In 1911, the
building was acquired by the Banco de la Nación Argentina
(Argentina's National Bank) for its local branch that operated here
from 1915 through 1978, date on which it was transferred to the
End of the World Museum. It is one if the first stone constructions,
that used laborers from the local prison.
The museum has 5 rooms with information about the prison and the
origins of the city, history of shipwrecks on the fueguine coasts
and gold diggers in the north of the island, in addition to an exhibition
of most of the species of the local fauna. There is a library and
a reading room. More than 5,000 books and history, geography, flora
and fauna can be reviewed.
8.- Pastoriza family's old
residence. Av. Maipú 91.
|On February 13, 1913, Don Saturnino Pastoriza
and family arrived in Ushuaia from Vigo, Galicia. He was part
of a contingent of approximately 400 people that belong to a
company that had the intention of installing a sardine canning
factory. This project was a failure, since the sardines never
showed up. In spite of this, the family settled permanently
in the area buying this house that had been built in 1918. Declared
City's National Heritage, is one of the representatives of fueguine
9.- Cortés family's
old residence. (Restaurant "Volver").
Av. Maipú 37.
|Old house built at the beginning of the
century by Ramón Cortés, the prison's second in
command and the city's first police chief, married to María
Sánchez Caballero, the first school teacher of the city.
The prison was occupied by inmates after the closing of the
prison in 1947. Doña Rafaela Ishton, one of the last
Selknam women, resided here until 1985. From 1990, after housing
a coffee house, it became a well known restaurant.
10.- Prison for Repeat Offenders.
(National Historic Monument). Gobernador
Paz y Yaganes.
In 1899, the history of penal institutions in Tierra
del Fuego begins, with the first installation in Isla de los Estados,
later moved to Bahía Golondrina and finally to Ushuaia. The
fact is that until its closing in 1947, the prison constituted the
socio-economic axis of life in the province.
Initially it was an institution for repeat offenders, and then
the military prison was incorporated. Dangerous criminals passed
through its cells. The founding stone was placed in September 1902.
Today, the Maritime Museum occupies the old prison. Its halls exhibit
naval models, and you can obtain information on the contact with
aborigines and human settlement on these lands. Since 1998, the
Museum exhibits an exact replica of the Lighthouse at the End of
the World, guide to navigators and a symbol of the mystery that
surrounded Isla de los Estados. On the other hand, the art gallery
exhibits works of numerous local artists.
11.- Blanco family's old
Villa Julieta in honor of the daughter, the residence was sold
several times and finally acquired by the provincial government.
Originally located at Gobernador Deloqui and Juana Fadul streets,
it was the seat of the Provincial Institute of Languages until
bought by the Council of Professional Architects of Ushuaia,
which moved it to the prison premises, where it stands today.
Its covered porch with an arched roof and upper triangular windows
are some of the unusual details that make this construction
a curious architectural testimony of old Ushuaia. This house
was built by prison inmates for the old prison accountant.
12.- Leviñanco family's
old residence. Gobernador Paz 56.
||Old family residence probably
built around 1926. It is one of the most beautiful examples
of fueguine architecture. It has a multiple gable roof with
steep slopes. In the main access, you can see the attic with
an octagonal rosette window.
13.- Canga family's old
residence. Gobernador Paz y Roca.
house belonged to Don José Canga Quiñones, who
arrived very young to these lands in 1910. He was a carpenter
and worked at the prison´s shop. In 1912, he decided to
embark on the "Presidente Sarmiento" to return to
Asturias and never come back. He was annoyed by the daily routine
on the island and was longing to return to his far homeland.
His desire to return was so strong that before boarding the
ship, he took his shoes off and shook the dust off them. He
would not even take with him the soil of this place. He never
imagined that the ship would run aground a few hours after departure
in Punta Remolino (where you can still see it).
The young carpenter had to return to his activities and definitely
settled in the city. In 1940, his son Vicente installs in this
house the Second District de the National Directorate of Roads
and later, it becomes his residence until today.
14 .- Calderón family's
old residence. Gobernador Deloqui 402.
This is another typical residence covered with corrugated iron.
Ceiling chandeliers stand out and the side hall, oriented in such
a way to avoid the strong local winds.
15.- Muñoz family's
old residence. Gobernador Deloqui y 25
||Built in the thirties by Don
Juan Nirici, Croatian carpenter. It was the seat of the Chilean
Consulate. It is a residence of a compact plant, gabled roof
and corrugated iron exterior that has suffered important functional
modifications during the later years.
This residence belonged to Don José Boscovich, of Yugoslav
nationality, who after living in Punta Arenas he came to work
in gold mines north of the island. He came to Ushuaia in 1915
and settled here permanently.
16.- Fadul family's old
residence. Juana Fadul 156.
||Built by the Fadul family, which
still owns the house. Of Lebanese descent, they established
themselves in Ushuaia in 1913. At first, Mr. Barcleit Fadul
worked as a house-to-house salesman, until he opened a general
store, while he was building this house. It has a rectangular
layout, and has a gable roof and the front has three entrances:
two side entrances framed by a window and the main entrance
with a bow window on the upper floor.
17.- Masciochi family's
old residence. San Martín 857.
Built in 1892 by an Italian employee at the prison called Pedro
Masciochi, whose daughter married Luis Fique, son of a flourishing
businessman of the same name and first Argentinean to settle in
Ushuaia. Don Pedro had arrived in Ushuaia from Italy at the beginning
of the century to work in a sawmill at Puerto Brown.
18.- Iglesia Nuestra Señora
de la Merced. (Church of Our Lady of Mercy)..
San Martín y Don Bosco.
Due to the lack of comfort of the old temple built in 1886, located
in Avenida Maipú - between Don Bosco and Juan Manuel de Rosas
- the construction of a new building was decided in 1942, at the
current location, on a site donated by the Fique family.
It took two years to build, with collaboration of the whole city.
The tower clock started to function on the April 5, 1949, while
the temple and parochial house were inaugurated on April 18. The
temple measures 25 meters long by 10 meters wide, with the maximum
height of 11 meters. A presbytery, an apse and a bell tower complete
19.- Fique family's old
residence. San Martín y Belgrano.
||It belongs to one
of the pioneer families, since Don Luis Fique arrived in 1884
with Lasserre's expedition as a Sub-Prefect; he had the honor
to sign the foundation charter of the Sub-Prefecture on October
12 of that year. He was a highly respected man in Tierra del
Fuego, enterprising and loved by the whole community.
He was the first Argentinean to settle in Ushuaia. He owned
the grocery store that carries his name. This store had its
own pier and was one of the most important at that time. The
family also owned farm establishments in Isla Navarino (Chile)
and in the Olivia river area, with a sawmill that provided construction
material for most of the city.
20.- Ushuaia´s Paseo
del Centenario. San Martín y Gobernador
||The main attraction
of this promenade is the Monument to the 100 years of the foundation
of the city, located on Gobernador Paz street. The spikes originating
from different directions and that at one point rise upwards,
represent the different groups arriving at different times in
these lands. The spikes support a social and cultural structure
that feeds day to day this soil with wisdom and spills onto
the fountain which symbolically receives through the Pip and
Olivia rivers the flows, framing and embracing this community.
Surrounded by green spaces and recreation areas for the population,
this work was completed in the year 2000.
21.- Beban¨s Old House
||Built by Fortunato
Beban between 1911 and 1913, who order the house through a catalog
in Sweden. It was one of the most important and ambitious constructions
in Ushuaia for a long time, and the proper place for a number
of social events meaningful to the city. To avoid demolition,
it was disassembled and reconstructed at the present Paseo Antiguos
Pobladores. Today, is the venue of important cultural exhibitions.
22.- El Cruceiro Gallego.
||The Cruceiro Gallego
was a donation to the city of Ushuaia by the Centro de Galicia.
This work of art was made in granite from Galicia, and is 6,50
meters high and weighs more than two tons. The sculpture was
done by artists from the School of Quarry of Pontevedra.
23.- Plaza Gendarmería
Nacional. Monument to Güemes.
||As a custodian
of the square and patron of the National Border Police, the
bust of General Martín Miguel de Güemes, stands
out. Through a sequence of arches in decreasing order, vertically
as well as horizontally, force the view to concentrate on a
vanishing point that converges to milestone XXVI. This perspective
closes on the national flag, on a platform elevating from the
24.- Plazoleta Luis Fique.
Av. Maipú y Pasaje L. Fique.
||Bust to the memory
of Prefect L. Fique, Argentinean pioneer that lived between
1849 and 1923. It was placed in the entrance of the walkway
crossing the deeper part of the Ushuaia Bay.
25.- Monument to the Anglican
Missionaries. Guardiamarina Davison s/n°.
||It marks the site
where the Stirling house was located and built in 1869. It was
the first family house built in our city, named then the "Iron
house". The old mission was a place occupied by the Anglicans,
In January 1869, Waite Sterling, first white man that that succeeds
in living among the natives of Tierra del Fuego, he settled
on this site with a group of collaborators, and fifteen years
later the city of Ushuaia was born.
26.- Islas Malvinas Monument.
(National Historic Monument). Av. Maipú
Inaugurated on April 2, 1994, this monument is
facing the Malvinas archipelago, a type of a ship´s bow points
in the same direction.
27.-Torres family's old
||This site had for
some time a three-story building that was built to house a novitiate
that never opened. Then the hotel "Las 14 provincias"
functioned here. Later it was disassembled and with some of
the material three identical houses were built of which two
are still standing. This is one of those houses.
The Torres family arrived in Ushuaia in 1930 and went to live
on San Martín Ave, at an electric material store.
28.- Gómez family's
old residence. Piedrabuena 44.
||His house was twin
to the previous one (N° 27), with some differences of which
the most important is the original fence made with artistic
Additionally, it repeats the decoration of the ledge on both
windows, the porch roof is dark metal, among other small details.
29.- Otero family's old
residence. Av. Maipú y Piedrabuena.
||Don Perfecto Celso
Otero was born in Pontevedra, Spain in 1891. Since he was young
he grew familiar with the sea. He arrived in Buenos Aires in
1915, where he learned about Ushuaia, and right after his marriage
with María Lucilda Saldivia Torres, he headed for Ushuaia.
On this site, he opened a seafood canning factory, and was not
until 1940 that he built the house today occupied by one of
30.- Ushuaia´s old
temple. Av. Maipú 830.
on December 24, 1898, this building was a venue of the most
important events for many years.
In 1949, a new parish is inaugurated, larger and more comfortable
to hold a growing population. The old temple closed down with
the resulting deterioration with the years.
Years later, in 1997, a reconstruction begins and the building
is re-inaugurated on December 24, 1998, a date coinciding with
the one hundred anniversary of the building.
The main body is simple with gabled roof, nave of 7.10 x 18.20
mts (part is original construction), while the bell tower, 2.30
x 2.30 mts was rebuilt a year later than its original project.
31.- Saint Christopher tugboat.
||This tugboat arrived
in Ushuaia in 1953 to attempt refloating the passenger boat
Monte Cervantes. It belonged to the Compañía Salvamar
and unfortunately was not successful. The damage caused by the
salvage maneuvers made departure impossible. The tugboat is
now part the city's landscape.
32.- Salomón family's
old residence. Av. Maipú 737.
to Don José Salomón, born in Lebanon in 1896,
who arrived in 1913 after passing through several cities. In
1817 he bought this residence, where he opened a general store.
The business was famous for the great variety of products for
sale and remained open until 1970, still keeping its original
appearance. The sign on the front of the store dates back to
33.- Municipal Secretariat
of Tourism. San Martín 674.
||Until 1997, the
Sarmiento Public Library functioned here; founded on November
8, 1926. The front, made of corrugated metal, maintains the
features of its foundation. It has a multiple gable roof, a
rosette in its front with split window. The access is through
an intermediate hall, important element in fueguine architecture.
34.- Municipality of Ushuaia.
San Martín 660.
||It was known in
the past as the "stone house", because the walls are
built in stone. It is a square plant, with multiple gable roof
and a glass tower at the top.
In spite of the remodeling of the front, the original construction
dates back to 1903, as an initiative of the Prison warden for
repeat offenders, Don Victorio Llorente. The stone masonry was
also applied in the building of the Presidio.
35.- Buezas family's old
residence (Bar Ideal). San Martín y Roca.
||Juan Buezas was
the steward at the prison since he came in 1929, at the age
of 22. In 1937 he installed his house in the corner of San martin
and Roca streets. Only in 1951, after remodeling the existing
rooms, he opened the Barcito Ideal, that became very popular
and lasted until today. It has a square plant, with subdivisions.
The windows are not part of the original building
36.- Post Office. San
Martín y Gobernador Godoy.
February 6, 1891, the post office was created in an old building
on Maipú Avenue, that was later destroyed by a fire.
On July 7, 1920, this office was elevated to the fourth category.
In 1933, this building is assigned to the Post Office, and continues
to be there until today.
37.- Olmo family's old residence.
San Martín y Antártida Argentina.
building belonged to Don Pascasio Olmo, who arrived in the city
in 1903 from Castilla la Vieja. He was hired as a policeman,
and then he was transferred to the penal institution where he
worked for more than 20 years reaching the position of Assistant
Warden at the moment of his retirement. The store, today occupied
by a video shop, maintains the same features as the original
This residence still maintains the artistic wire fence and part
of the ornaments of the original front
38.- City Tour
An interesting alternative to a tour
of the most important historic points of the city is the Ushuaia
Double Decker City Tour, that will take you to see the most
relevant historic buildings and monuments. On the high season
you can choose the day or night circuit that are eventually
combined with museum visits. You will visit the most important
downtown panoramic points, with explanations of the history
of the population of the city